As Canadian companies consider U.S. expansion, the question quickly becomes where to start? Who can help understand the cross-border due diligence needed to get things set up?
This is the area that I love to help Canadian businesses with. There are several key topics that I like to discuss with companies as they build a strong foundation for the new U.S. company. These discussions include:
- U.S. Incorporation
- Transferring money between the two companies and countries without being double taxed
- Strategies to reduce your corporate tax rate
- Sales tax in the U.S. and when you need to collect and remit this tax
- Immigration considerations for Canadian employees that are going to help setup this new facility
- Protecting IP, trademarks, and patents in the U.S.
- Establishing credit in the U.S.
- Site selection
- Review of possible government assistance that might be available to them
- Review wage data and worker availability
- Human resource considerations and how they differ from Canada
- And much more!
This may seem overwhelming, but I have established a process that helps companies take things one step at a time. Invest Buffalo Niagara also has published a Guide to Canadian Business Expansion to the U.S. The table of contents for the Guide closely mirrors the above list of considerations. It is very robust and filled with information from our partners across the region that are experts on these cross-border topics.
Expanding from Canada to the U.S. is a unique process, much of which is captured in our Guide, and can be facilitate by our business development staff. I personally have helped over 50 companies and would love to help yours!